29 January 2008

U2... up close and very personal

I know I promised this earlier so here it is... Everything I've read about U23D: The Movie is right on. "Everything" being rave reviews... giving it five stars... all that. Incredible... awesome... amazing... immersive... Ok, enough with the ambiguous adjectives.

It's not your normal 3D experience where the filmmakers attempt to startle you with hokey gimmicks and corny effects. There's simply a crisp realism in the shots and after the first song or two, you feel as though you are "there." So much so, that at one point I literally moved my head so I could see around some offensive object obstructing my view... The Edge's mic stand. When I caught myself, I had to laugh.

I appreciated the fact that the camera gave equal airtime to all members of the band. One moment you are closeup with Bono or posing with Adam Clayton and the next you are looking over The Edge's shoulder at 80,000 screaming fans. This in itself is a departure from the much smaller arena venues played here in North America and amazingly translates to a relatively small room with a capacity of only 400.

The film was shot entirely during the South America leg of the Vertigo tour and the crowds really brought the concert to life. Bono also played on the fact that he was South of the Equator by singing several lines in Spanish including the entire bridge of Beautiful Day.

Our particular viewing at the Channelside IMAX theatre in Tampa had some real fans. During the show, you could hear people singing along and at times even clapping which seemed completely normal even though we were in a theatre. At one point, my wife even stood up and no one seemed to give attention.

The set is similar to the Chicago DVD with some welcome variations including Bono singing the opera which completely blew me away. I've never really cared much for Atomic Bomb's Love and Peace but this one made me a believer. Some of the visuals during the song were incredible including Bono lightpainting with his finger which appeared to be right in your face.

In short, it's an experience all it's own. It's not a mere concert film and it's not a live experience either. You're all over the place in the stadium. The only complaint I have (if you can call it that) is that I wished the editor would have lingered on some of the shots a bit longer so we could take it all in. The cuts were a bit fast and I found myself really wanting to drink in the entire scope of some of the wider shots. Other than that, it's an outstanding and groundbreaking piece of work. If you are within an hour or two drive, make the effort... it's def worth it. Here's a little teaser I took for you from the iPhone of my favorite member, Adam Clayton... not that it'll do you any good without the glasses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Bono lightpainting with his finger which appeared to be right in your face."


Im jealous!