05 October 2007

Catalyst - Session 006

Nick and I overslept a bit and got to the arena late. We were able to score some pretty good seats thought. That's the FOG (favor of God). We started out by setting another Guinness World Record. We set the Record for Breaking the Most Records. Under everyone's seat was an old vinyl 45 record and we all snapped them in two at the same time. Good stuff.

Nothing could have prepared me for Craig Groeschel. I've seen his podcasts and read his book, Confessions of a Pastor but this was another level. He added a confession that wasn't in his book. He talked about being a Practical Atheist.

It's where we believe in God in our hearts but live as though he doesn't exist. For pastors, the issue is believing that God exists but doing ministry as though he does not.

We would never say it with our mouths but we live as though God doesn't exist so often. It's so easy to do. I'm not going to go into all of the things he talked about but I want to ask a question... what are some ways that you believe that God exists but live like he does not?

This isn't a rhetorical question. I want to hear from you. If you dare... be honest. We may help each other. I know there are many ways that I'm guilty of this so I'll go first...

I believe (because of how I live) that my success has more to do with my best efforts than it does with God's power. That the ministry... if it rises or fails... is about me and my best or worst efforts. It's funny, if things decline... it's my fault... (I would never say this next one but it's true...) If things go well... it's because I did it.

I wouldn't say it out loud, but I live as though success in this life... marriage... parenting... work... it's all up to me and if I'm honest... I obsess about how bad I suck. With God's help, I'm going to seek him more. I'm going to really trust him more. I'm going to live as though he exists and that he is actively working on my behalf to make me successful and to fulfill his purposes in my family, relationships, and ministry. That it's not all up to me.

God help me... you're a good God and I'm asking you again to disturb me until all is right in me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with what you said! this may not be nearly as spiritual an answer...but i think we live like God doesn't exist in our entertainment. the same stuff that makes an unsaved person laugh shouldn't make us laugh. i'm not being legalistic or anything, but think about it, we should not laugh at those living "alternative lifestyles" and pretend that it doesn't grieve the heart of God. there are other examples, but you get the idea. just my thought...

Anonymous said...

oh, and BTW, i went and read an exerpt from the book "Confessions of a Pastor"...gonna have to buy it now!

Jamie said...

Wow! What a question. I read this the other day, and decided to hold off on answering until I had let a few days pass with my eyes wide open, so to speak. I beleive that I live like God doesn't exist in my finances. I being completely open here. I balance the checkbook, pay bills, and spend money... and never once thank God for his provision. I calculate what needs to be paid and what doesn't based on the amount of Hank's paycheck. And I even tithe according to what he should bring home. Yikes! It sounds so horrible now that it's layed on before me!

Commander Eric said...

I so wish I could have made it. Two of favorite people were there, Craig and Mark Batterson. I have started going to Life Church on Saturday nights. This guy is awesome.